This 2019 Honda CBR650R is one of the bikes I personally owned and installed flush mount front LED turn signals on it. It was difficult to find a combination of front and rear LEDs that fit well and looked good for this particular bike, that part of this project took the most time. I purposely did not install integrated tail light/turn signals because the bike would not pass the annual safety inspection in my state. Check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to see what type of motorcycle signals are required in your area.
This setup will work for 2018-2020 model years and may work for similar models and other model years. I mounted the rear signals to a tail tidy I purchased from an Australian shop called Mustard Bikes (link below). I needed a new flasher relay, and the one that TST sells did not work correctly with this setup. I found a relay that worked from Custom LED and I included the link below.
Some of these parts are for different makes and models because at the time no one sold a kit specifically for the CBR650R. Rest assured, the parts will work perfectly well.
- TST Turn Signal Mount Adapter Kit – PSA-1001 – Plate Kit 2 (This is the Yamaha Kit but it fits) https://tstindustries.com/tst-pod-turn-signal-adapter-plate-kit.html
- TST LED Front Flush Mount Turn Signals for Honda CBR300R – FLY01C – Clear https://tstindustries.com/tst-easy-fit-led-front-flushmount-turn-signals-honda-cbr300r-cbr250r.html
- If you have running lights, this adapter will delete the running light feature – TST Signal Plug Converters for Honda – CVH01 – HARNESS CONFIG: 3-2 (3 wire) https://tstindustries.com/tst-signal-plug-converters-for-honda.html
- If you do not have running lights, then this one will work for you – TST Signal Plug Converters for Honda – CVH02 – HARNESS CONFIG: 2-2 (2 wire) https://tstindustries.com/tst-signal-plug-converters-for-honda.html
- TST Low Profile LED Rear Turn Signals for Honda Grom 2017-2020 – H03PSKC – Clear https://tstindustries.com/tst-low-profile-led-rear-turn-signals-honda-grom-2017-2020.html
- TST Signal Plug Converters for Honda – CVH02 – HARNESS CONFIG: 2-2 https://tstindustries.com/tst-signal-plug-converters-for-honda.html
ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector
Mustard Bikes Tail Tidy – MUS_FEN_HON_CB65R_19_MIN
- To determine if you need 2 wire or 3 wire adapter cables, start your bike and if the front turn signals are lit solid when the bike is running, then you have 3 wire turn signals (running lights). Keep in mind that this modification will disable the running lights, so if you want running lights, you will need to purchase front LED signals with three wires.
- Remove the seat and fuel tank to access the relays. Then remove the plastic cover over the relays. The flasher relay is the one closest to the rear of the motorcycle.
- The cables are very short for the rear signals so you may need to extend them. If needed, use 22 AWG stranded wire and snap wire connectors or solder the wire to extend the wires and heat shrink the connections to insulate them.
- If your bike has three wires for the front signals, use the CVH01 converter cables and move the yellow wire to the bottom pin slot of the connector. This is important because that moves the 12V wire to the signal light wire on the bike’s wiring harness. The original position will engage the running light and the light will not flash.
- To mount the front signals, use the more rounded adapter plates and flip them over so the bump sits in the recess of the fairing. If the turn signal sits too low in the recess for your liking, you can use the rubber spacers that came with the signal to raise it up a bit. To get the height I wanted, I took one spacer and cut it long ways with a razor blade. Then I took the halves and used them to raise the signals up on each side.
Here is what the tail looked like with the stock turn signals and fender.
Here is what the tail looked like with the stock turn signals and the tail tidy.
Front of the bike with the stock turn signals.
Front of the bike with the flush mount LED signals.
Side of the bike with the flush mount LED signals.
Tail of the bike with the tail tidy and LED signals.